Colorful, encaustic cement tiles were introduced to Tampa Bay by Spanish speaking immigrant artisans and our neighbors to the south. The plaza tiles recall the typical design patterns found in the area and are directly inspired by the cigar labels of The F. Garcia & Company Factory. The cigar factory, built in 1899 on the corner of Garcia Avenue and Arch Street, an area now within the boundaries of the park, was a primary employer for area residents. This section of town was known as Roberts City.
Jovi Schnell, West Tampa Promenade, 2018. Commissioned through the City of Tampa Arts.